Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2008, 06:02 PM   #1
MooseSuite

Brake/Rotor Wear

My MS has about 5,000 miles of travel. Yesterday while backing into a site my wife noticed that a grinding sound was coming our of the back driver side wheels.
So once parked, checked the rotors and noticed severe wear on the both driver side rotors. Also brake fluid, down, added 500 ml as I found the bleed assembly broken on the back caliper. Made a temporary fix on the leak. The fluid level is holding.
The curb side rotors are showing minimal wear.
So I am 1000 miles away from our dealer.
I am no expert on brakes, just had the unit in 3 months ago for the one year warranty inspection and nothing noted on brake wear.

Any experts with technical advice, till I can get back to the dealer.

Old 07-05-2008, 10:55 AM   #2
Motor31

Did you have the recall work done or checked to see if it applied to your unit?

There was a thread dedicated to the brake recall on the board here a short while ago. You might be able to find it using a search or if nothing else start scanning thread titles for it in previous pages.

Here are 3 threads I found in a quick search. Perhaps one will have info helpful to you.

http://www.5thwheelforums.com/forums...t=brake+recall

2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 05:05 PM   #3
Hobo

Re: Brake/Rotor Wear

The calipers most likely hung up. Who ever assembled that side must of forgot the never seize. You need to find out who brakes you have, Kodiak or Dexter and call them to ship the complete rotor assembly shipped under warranty to a dealer near you. I have had Camper World in AL replace one, and 2 other dealer work with me. I paid labor and got reimbursed those times.
When mine hung up they heated till the calipers blow out loosing all fluid and braking.
I had parts sent to Yuma AZ and when the parts arrived mad an appointment and was in and out in 3 hours. I used a truck service shop there not a RV dealer and I'm very happy with the job.

One recall was for bolts braking, that doesn't sound like your problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseSuite
My MS has about 5,000 miles of travel. Yesterday while backing into a site my wife noticed that a grinding sound was coming our of the back driver side wheels.
So once parked, checked the rotors and noticed severe wear on the both driver side rotors. Also brake fluid, down, added 500 ml as I found the bleed assembly broken on the back caliper. Made a temporary fix on the leak. The fluid level is holding.
The curb side rotors are showing minimal wear.
So I am 1000 miles away from our dealer.
I am no expert on brakes, just had the unit in 3 months ago for the one year warranty inspection and nothing noted on brake wear.

Any experts with technical advice, till I can get back to the dealer.
Lemon Tree 04 MS 36TK3 #0886
Hughes Net
Fulltimer since 1999
Find me at https://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=2000
Hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:51 PM   #4
Wife of Big Doofus

Our 2007 SB3 has the same problem. We owned it a year in April so will anything still be covered under warranty? Seems like the brakes started having some trouble after we had it in for recall, not sure if that has anything to do with it.
Wife of Big Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 10:18 AM   #5
Hobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wife of Big Doofus
Our 2007 SB3 has the same problem. We owned it a year in April so will anything still be covered under warranty? Seems like the brakes started having some trouble after we had it in for recall, not sure if that has anything to do with it.
You really need to check with the brake manufacturer and the people that did the warranty work. Most dealers do NOT have people qualified to work on hydraulic brakes. DRV does not warranty the brakes, just as they don't warranty the refrigerator or microwave. They my service them but not under their own warranty.

I would also have whomever dose the fix check all 4. I did not and ended up having the other wheel go a little wile later.

I have now pulled over 5k without a problem.
Lemon Tree 04 MS 36TK3 #0886
Hughes Net
Fulltimer since 1999
Find me at https://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=2000
Hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 08:11 AM   #6
MooseSuite

Worn Disc Brakes on MS 2007 SB3

To Hobo
Thanks for all the info, as the worn, off door, brake noise, issue I had a month ago turned into a brake failure.

The calipers must have overheated on the off door side, started loosing fluid, and eventually the rig lost all braking.

Took the unit to a truck ctr as you suggested, as no RV dealers on the CDN east coast deal with disc brakes.

Waiting for new brakes from Lippert that will arrive in a week.

Truck ctr and my RV dealer back home, have been helpful in getting the rig back on the road.

So, if you note any brake wear on one side verses the other i.e worn pads, scored rotors, get them looked at and fixed before they fail.

Brakes are warrantied for 3 years.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:53 AM   #7
rverdlm

This is another reason to have PressurePro and check the tire pressure regularly. With our AL wheels the temp generated by a stuck brake will go right to the tire and show an abnormal increase in pressure for that tire.

2005 Mobile Suites 38RL3 #2338
MorRyde IS 8K axles, LazyBoy recliners, LCD tv
Full time since '96
rverdlm is offline   Reply With Quote