Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2021, 09:30 AM   #1
ssons

Traffic throu Atlanta

has anyone been through Atlanta on I-20? Or is better to go around on I-285? I,ll be pulling a 38' 5th wheel
thanks

ssons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 04:10 PM   #2
Notanlines

We have driven and towed thru Atlanta on 20 and 75 many times over the years. I'd say if it's rush hour the traffic on the beltway will be as heavy as straight thru. Overall, we normally just tough it out and drive straight thru on both 20 and 75. Many others may come on with secret ways to avoid all this, but it just isn't a big deal. A big deal is coming into Chicago from Indiana on Friday afternoon at 3:00,headed to Madison, Wisconsin. Now THAT is a big deal. Oh, and expensive.

Harley Road King & sidecar
Notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 03:25 PM   #3
jvglasso

I20

We've used both I20 and I285. I'm assuming your going to use I75 South. If not stay on I20. I don't see much difference between using I20 or I285. There is a major construction on I20 on the Westside of Atlanta going West after the i285 exchange watch for it and make sure your in the left pass through lane. If you expect to stop make sure your in the right lane to exit I20. I285 seems to have lots of construction activity. We rely on WAZE for construction info. BTW we do anything possible to avoid rush hour traffic.
jvglasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 07:23 PM   #4
TGK

TT or 5th Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssons View Post
has anyone been through Atlanta on I-20? Or is better to go around on I-285? I,ll be pulling a 38' 5th wheel
thanks
We have learned over the years to plan our trips so that we always go thru Atlanta on a Sunday. I know this won't work for everyone, but we're retired and able to schedule our trips to avoid as many traffic problems as possible.
TGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 08:07 PM   #5
Photomonjax

Travel thur Atlanta

I go thur Atlanta four times a year to and from TN. I plan on reaching the city around 10am thus missing the morning traffic. Never had any problems unless there is a wreck and then all bets are off. I pull a 40 ft Montana.
Photomonjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 07:51 AM   #6
friz

9 PM to 5 AM and you will zip through. Atlanta is the "pits" as far as traffic.
Old 03-30-2021, 10:46 AM   #7
Sparkle

We are new to a 5th Wheel but have done ATL hundreds of times in our 42 Ft diesel pusher towing an Avalanche! All interstate traffic on ATL is bad, rush hour is painful, but the roads are good so if you set your expectations that you are going to get in your lane and be patient you will be good to go. Quick note: traffic moves into ATL in the mornings more from the North so southbound in the morning is worse than in the evenings and visa versa.

Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote