Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2017, 11:03 PM   #1
Rockyhud

Hi - new member from CO

Hi all,
My wife and I are the proud owners of a new to us 2011 DRV 38TKSB3 that we just bought in the last 2 weeks from the original owners who now live in the Ft Lauderdale, FL area. I drove our truck there, solo, and my wife flew down there the day after I arrived. We got to spend a couple of days and a night in the RV, connected to all services in a nice RV park, to check out and familiarize ourselves with it and found it to be as well cared for as we had hoped, so we bought it. We then drove 4 days and covered 2100+ miles towing it back to our home in CO - got to experience and appreciate the Trailair hitch and Center Point suspension on the trip. I did a lot of research beforehand and feel like I have a pretty good grasp on things but also know there are/will be plenty of things I still need to learn, hence my joining this forum. I'm hoping I'll be able to glean some tidbits of wisdom from more experienced RVers here and hopefully be able to help others as the opportunities arise, so I'll definitely be visiting this forum fairly often.
Later,
Steve
Rockyhud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 05:03 AM   #2
wingnut60
Site Team

Glad to have you on the forum--sounds like you have a good unit to start out with.
Better get it winterized quick unless you have it inside.
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 09:27 AM   #3
Rockyhud

Thanks, Wingnut. Yeah, the RV will set outside so I've already started and hopefully done all that's necessary for ole man winter to come rolling in. The first thing I did was drain the hot water heater and replaced the sacrificial anode after draining, so it's ready for use later. I disconnected and drained all water lines on the backside (outside panel) of the RV fridge, so there shouldn't be any water left to freeze there. I also disconnected a white colored line with twist on/off end connector near the main water manifold - got a significant amount of water out of that one. The tanks (fresh, grey and black) were already empty, or very close at least, before we left FL and nothing has been "added" to them since. The RV doesn't have a washer/dryer (yet) and the water valves in the w/d closet have never been used and still have the white plastic caps on the valves, so I believe these are safe from freezing as well. We also cleared out the freezer of ice and the ice maker has no water in it and all water faucets have been left open. About the only thing I think I still need to do is pour some RV antifreeze in the kitchen and bathroom drains to protect the p-traps. Based on all this, have I missed anything you can think of?
2011 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5509
Old 12-01-2017, 10:30 AM   #4
wingnut60
Site Team

You should disconnect the water lines going into/out of the blue solenoid control at the back of the fridge--water will stay in it if you don't take the lines off, I know about that... also, the icemaker line at the shutoff valve--disconnect it and blow thru it or just let it drain by gravity--other that that, sounds like you got them all
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 12:10 PM   #5
Rockyhud

Thanks for the feedback. I forgot to mention that I left all the lines disconnected at the blue solenoid, so any remaining water in it will evaporate quickly in Colorado's dry climate. Other than the ice maker line at the shut-off valve under the kitchen sink, which I can see does have a few inches of water in the bottom of the line near the valve, it sounds like the rig is ready for cold temps. Appreciate the feedback.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:28 AM   #6
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
Did you drain the toilet sprayer of water too? And outside shower line? Sorry if I missed you doing those.
1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 10:29 AM   #7
Rockyhud

Thanks for the reminder about the toilet sprayer, Stripit. That's one I think I might have overlooked. I did get the outside sprayer. My wife is going to do a fridge & freezer cleaning today, since we have nice weather and because the previous owner didn't do such a good job of that, so I'll use that opportunity to check and drain the sprayer. I appreciate you all helping me think of all that needs to be considered and taken care of.