Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2021, 09:46 AM   #1
CALinSC

Fredericksburg, VA – KOA

We got snubbed pretty badly at this KOA. We were headed south for some of the winter months and had left I-81 at Winchester, VA to take US-17 down to I-95 and ultimately connect to I-85. We were going to spend a couple of weeks at Greenville, SC. This was not a normal route for us but we wanted to explore US-17 – a nice drive on a well maintained US highway.

When we got to Fredericksburg we opted to drive down a 7 mile county road to the KOA. We did not call as it was a Wednesday and almost all KOAs have sites during week days. Right away the manager didn’t want to give us a site because they had a large caravan arriving on Friday. We never did figure-out why they didn’t want us there. But, we had an advantage, our KOA card was golden and once they found that out they put us in a back-in spot down in the “south forty”, even though they had nice long pull-thrus close to the CG store.

The CG is old and the sites were quite antiquated but had FHUs with CATV. While exploring a smallish lake to see if I could do some evening fishing I found there was a large family of beaver there. The management was having a hard time getting the fish and game people to move them.

This KOA is an exception from the norm in that it’s not close to any major highway. However, the CG store was well stocked and some of the CG areas were modern with a nice sized swimming pool.

This link is active but a little deceiving.

https://koa.com/campgrounds/frederic...washington-dc/

15 KOA - Fredericksburg, VA (1).jpg 15a KOA - Fredericksburg, VA (4).JPG

15b KOA - Fredericksburg, VA (2).jpg 15c KOA - Fredericksburg, VA (3).JPG
Old 02-23-2021, 11:57 PM   #2
CALinSC

Jacksonville, FL

Because we are a retired military family we have the advantage of using military RV Parks and CGs.

This is not about a military RV Park, the user base here is for veterans. To qualify you need proof of at least 6 months active duty with honorable service. A DD214 will almost always qualify a veteran to join any American Legion post. You can get a membership card (about $20) at any active post. It will allow you the use of all other posts nationwide.

The American Legion Post 137 at Jacksonville, FL has a large membership base. The main post building is quite large. There is an Olympic size pool with an active tiki bar – in season. The post has an active rod & gun club, bass fishing club and motorcycle club. The property is quite large and there is a gated, paved double boat launching area with floating docks. That’s where there are 8 large RV parking sites. Six are FHU and the other two are at the boat launching area and have W&E only. We lived in Jacksonville for 23 years and all of our grand children and their children live there, so we always visit when on the east coast.

The main club has a large meeting area, pool tables, dart machines, shuffle boards, live entertainment on Friday & Saturday nights. There are steak dinners on Friday evenings and a walk-in brunch on Sundays.

Reservations are accepted. We like site #6 because of its great view of the boat launch and the Cedar River.

Here are a few pictures.

16 AL Post 137 - JAX, FL.jpg 16b Post 137 - JAX, FL (1).jpg

16d American Leigon Post 137 (3).jpg 16e ALP-137 (2).jpg

16f ALP-137 (3).jpg
Old 03-03-2021, 04:53 PM   #3
CALinSC

Walterboro, SC

Are you a frequent I-95 Traveler? The New Green Acres RV Park at Walterboro, SC, exit #53 may interest you. Their sites are mostly long pull-thru sites with 50 AMP FHU and CATV. The park is very easy to enter and depart. On both sides of the exit road there are large big rig friendly service stations. It’s a very easy overnighter or short term retreat park with a traveler’s atmosphere.

The link below is active.

http://www.newgreenacres.com/

17 New Green Acres - Walterboro, SC (2).jpg 17a New Green Acres - Walterboro, SC (4).jpg

17b New Green Acres - Walterboro, SC (1).jpg 17c New Green Acres - Walterboro, SC (3).jpg
Old 03-15-2021, 11:31 AM   #4
CALinSC

Chambersburg, PA

Because we now live in upstate SC and Linda’s family has always lived there, we have traveled I-81 many times. And, a few times, we did it from its start in NC to its end in NY.

There are a lot of great RV Parks/CGs along I-81. Many are family oriented CGs that are always open to overnighters. This stop at Twin Bridges CG was our first. We were headed north and spotted their billboard advertisement and decided to drive in and take a look. They offered us a nice grassy 50 amp FHU site and we took it. It’s a nice clean CG with lots of activities.

The CG office/store is well stocked and has live fishing bait. Because of the stream across the road in front of our site we decided to stay two nights. We got some nice pan sized catfish from the stream and got our laundry done. We try to wash at least once at every stop because of the load size of our washer/dryer. Changing sheets and towels will normally require three loads.

18 Twin Bridge PA 1.jpg 18a Twin Bridge PA 2.jpg

18b Twin Bridge PA 3.jpg
Old 04-30-2021, 05:19 AM   #5
CALinSC

Riverside, AL

I-20 is one of those east/west highways we used often. This Safe Harbor RV Park is very convenient for a quick overnight stop. Just drive in and find a site, pay at a drop box and get a FHU with 50 AMPS and CATV.

I really like to get an overnight stop with a well stocked fishing pond/lake. Hardly any of the RV patron’s fish in the pond and I’ve always got a nice catch from its waters.

We’ve stayed here numerous times. Pictures 1&2 was at a different site and time than picture 3.

19 Safe Harbor - Pell City, AL - 2.JPG 19a Safe Harbor - Pell City, AL - 1.JPG

19b Safe Harbor RV Park - Pell City, AL - - 5.jpg 19c logan-martin-boat-launch.jpg