View Single Post
Old 01-28-2011, 06:03 PM   #25
rotaxman

Axle weight

Hey RickandJanice

I understand the relation ship between pin weight and actual weight carried by the axles. As you said a real good balance actually a perfect one would be the 15 percent that you mentioned. All of DRV's 36's and above exceed that percentage they exceed the 20 percent range.

It is common to find the large DRV's with pin weights in excess of 4000 pounds. The two that I have had have been 4500 and 4300 respectively.

If I had a DRV unit that was rated at a 20000 pound GVWR and loaded it to 20000 pounds and the pin comes in at 4000 pounds lets even go a little further lets say it comes in at 4500 which it will maybe even more but it could also be less not likely though. (Less is worse for this example) That will leave 15500 for the axles to support which if your axles have been derated to 7500 each you will be 500 over what they are rated for. I'm fairly sure that the axles will not have the weight distributed evenly on both of them. One of them may be just under and the other could be a lot over.

I'm gonna hook up with Stacey one of these days and have him weigh me out. I was very surprised when I weighed my 06 I had the use of a digital platform scale at a grain company. I went there when they were closed and could take the time to weight the truck and trailer by axle and total weight.

Rick and Janice I didn't mean to sound snippy if I did I apologize as that was not my intent.

As always good camping

Jerry
2000 F 450 V10
5.38 gears trailer special
Automatic 4R100
20000# Reese Hitch
Trail Air Suspension and Pin Box with Tri Glide
Honda 4500 ex
Hughes Internet
Garmin 2720 talking GPS
Pressure Pro
Junk frame 2009 38TKSB3 #4750