View Single Post
Old 02-09-2009, 05:31 PM   #17
Gemstone

Finally got rid of the 80 pound 27" living room Sony TV and tray today....what a PITA.
The way the factory had the tray screwed and bolted down was a nightmare. Then there was getting the old power cord out and the new one in, without removing all of the electronic hardware...thru holes that were offset in the hollow wall of the cabinet...grrr
After the screws were removed from the tray bracket, I then tried a 3/8 socket on what I assumed were 2 short lag bolts...too big. Tried 11/64 socket....hummm, too small. Turns out they were 10mm machine bolts, with the nut sandwiched between the layers of the TV shelf. Had to take the moulding off (more screws) to get in between the two sides of the shelf in order to get a wrench on the nut. Might know, they used bolt cutters to cut the bolt to the correct length....so, no removing the nut with my fingers...threads all boogered up...more grrr. Found a strange threaded stud in the shelf behind the TV....nothing attached to it....I assume it is some long since abandoned method of holding the Sony in place with straps ?
The 40" Toshiba that a previous poster managed to squeeze in the empty cabinet space has been discontinued....the replacement 40" unit measures 39"...side to side. No fitting that into a 37" opening....so I ended up with a 37" Visio...which measures 36" side to side and 26.5" tall...which just fits under the top moulding of the empty space, using the foot that comes with the TV. Now to figure out how to secure the TV for travel.....maybe straps over the top, fastened to the strange stud, and somehow attached to the front of the shelf....but it has to pass the "cosmetically correct" test....don't want "D" rings dangling from the shelf.
But the job is 90% finished, just 2 hours x 2 people to get the job done. Could have been done in half that time, had Doubletree properly engineered the original installation. Oh well...now if I can just get used to the wide screen format where everyone looks short and wide....doesn't seem right to use "normal" mode, when you have that big screen looking back at you...

Regards
Gemstone