View Single Post
Old 01-25-2019, 06:26 PM   #11
Hanr3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrilrogers@hotmail.com View Post
Anyone have experience towing a 5th wheel with the Aluminum body F150?
I have a 2014 with heavy duty payload and max towing packages and it pulls my 8000 lb (dry) trailer with no issues. I’m worried about the lighter frame in the newer models. Considering upgrading to a 250.
FYI- the frame isn't lighter, the body is lighter. The frame was fully boxed, actually it's stronger than the old C-channel style. The frame and suspension carry the load, not the body or box. Sure the box contains a load of goods, but the 5er hitch is bolted to the frame.

The key to any towing is matching capacities between the tow vehicle and trailer. Stay within the capacities.

The biggest challenge for a 1/2 ton towing a 5er is the carrying capacity of the truck. Things like 4x4 subtract from carrying capacity, so does crew cab, long box, and the upscale trim packages all add weight to the truck and subtract it from its available carrying capacity. You don't need the heavy duty towing package, and yes you can find properly configured 1/2 tons on the lot. They aren't the rule, but the exception. Next time your out and about, stop at a Ford truck dealer and open the driver doors. Take notice of the max capacity and the carrying capacity, then look at the trucks configuration. Most times the Crewcabs, 4x4 and upscale trim packages have the least available carrying capacity. I avoided the regular cabs. Even with a long box they have a short wheel base. The best configuration is the XLT Supercab 6.5' box, 4x2 with locking rear axle and Ecoboost 3.5 twin turbo'd V6 engine.

With that configuration there are 5 or 6 capacities, gross and carrying. My truck is the 2nd lightest configuration, in that there are 3 or 4 capacities that can carry more than mine, and that includes the max. tow. My max gross is 6,900 and 2078 carrying. I have no trouble staying under those numbers. granted there are only a few 1/2ton towable 5th wheels have less than 1,500-1,600 pound pin weight. I needed a short 5er, 25' so I could tow my boat behind it and be under the 60' length limit in Illinois.
Hanr3 is offline   Reply With Quote