View Single Post
Old 08-27-2009, 12:44 PM   #1
BillA

Vertical Clearance

We recently purchased a DRV ES 36TK3 and have been working our way through all the great information on this site. This is our first RV so we are learning a lot as we go.

My question relates to vertical clearance. After hooking the 5er to the truck and before leaving the dealers yard I took measurements from the high point on the unit which happens to be the satellite antenna dome. I found the vertical height to be 13'-3". How does this compare to your height? This is approximately 2-3" higher than the front A/C unit. I was surprised that this unit is that tall. It made me wonder if the DRVs are taller than the "typical" 5er?

Since getting the unit home via I-10 (carefully monitoring overpass heights along the way) I have discovered that there is an overpass here in Houston on I-45 that is placarded at 13', 3" less than my rig height. I would never have dreamed that you would have a problem with an RV on an Interstate highway. I know that the Motor Carriers Atlas is available with low clearance listings for major highways but what do you do if you want to get off beaten path onto lesser highways? How do you determine if you will have a problem other than when it pops up in front of you? Are there other quality 5ers that have less vertical height or are all of them about the same?

This has also raised a question about location of the second A/C unit at the high point of the trailer. Given that the A/C is centrally ducted why does the second A/C unit have to be located at the front of the rig as opposed a lower location mid rig? And the same goes for the satellite dome?

Just trying to get comfortable about towing this unit.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote