View Single Post
Old 09-22-2009, 11:01 AM   #14
LindaH

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA
Newbie here. LindaH, is the valve on your standby tank closed or open while the first tank is in use?
We always leave both tanks open. We do a lot of boondocking and if we were to leave one tank closed, then when the tank in use became empty, there'd be no propane to run the refrigerator. If the tank became empty at, say 10 PM after we'd gone to bed, the refrigerator would be without propane for maybe up to 12 hours or more.

I know some people leave the tank not being used closed so they know when they run out of propane, but, as I've mentioned, if you get in the habit of checking the indicator on your propane tanks every single day, you'll know within a 24-hour period, when one goes empty.
Quote:
We have the automatic transfer valve and it was my understanding that if the valves on both tanks were open when the first tank runs dry it will automatically switch to the other full tank.
That's correct. If it doesn't, there's something wrong with your transfer valve.
Quote:
I have been checking the black lever thinking it would flip from the tank in use to the standby whenever the first tank ran dry.
No, the position of the lever doesn't change until you manually change it...only the indicator changes, from green to red. Once you manually change the position of the lever to point to the full tank, the indicator changes from red back to green.
2007 Dodge Ram 3500
https://earl-linda.blogspot.com
LindaH is offline   Reply With Quote