View Single Post
Old 11-09-2011, 08:36 PM   #13
bstark

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas24
The dealer's service dept. where I bought my MS, told me you have to have all the electric switches for the water heater turned off in order for the water heater to work on gas.

It's been so long....cannot remember if they were right or not.
Nope, nope; they will work in tandem. You can even have them both on together as in right after setting up with a cold tankfull.

You may have some crud in the valve pack that is preventing gas from getting past the solenoid valve into the burner tube.

Careful dissasembly and cleaning should be one of your troubleshooting exercises given that you say you can hear the solenoid lifting. My 05 had a dual pack coil with them wired in parallel I believe so you might have one coil functioning and the other not.

Unhooking the wires at the coil packs then verifying continuity across the spades should tell you if the packs are shot.

There may even be enough magnetic energy generated when the packs are active to be able to tell with a steel 6" scale held near to feel for attraction when they're energized.

It's been awhile since I've looked at one so my memory may not be the best on it.