Thread: Overnighters
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2021, 03:13 PM   #48
CALinSC

Pelican Roost RV Park, Naval Station, Mayport, FL

I did 31 years of active duty with the USN. Because of that and a service-connected disability I can stay at all military CGs and RV Parks (FAMCAMP – USAF). In the past I’ve not posted any of them in this thread because of the “authorized users” restrictions. Many of the ones we’ve stayed at in the past now allow guests with authorized users. Pelican Roost is one of them.

The Pelican Roost RV Park is situated out near the very end of the south jetties where the St. Johns River flows into the Atlantic Ocean. From the RV Park there is a full view of the “Mayport Basin” where the USN ships are moored. Everything that enters by sea to the ports at Jacksonville, FL will pass the RV Park. Needless to say, fishing from the jetties is very productive and exciting, because you never know what you might hook.

The normal parking limit is 14 days. Every time we’ve stayed there it’s been for 14 days. Just south of the RV Park there are military beaches. They have restaurants, bath facilities and game courts such as beach volleyball. The base has a true links 18-hole golf course which also has a wonderful restaurant. The MWR office has all sorts of recreational equipment for rent and they also have a large assortment of fishing equipment and baits.

At the town of Mayport there is a state-run ferry boat that crosses the St. Johns. The dunes on the north jetties are very popular with off road vehicle riders; there are a couple very popular sea food restaurants there, right on the river.

The following link will provide additional info.

https://www.militarycampgrounds.us/f...-roost-rv-park

1 Mayport, FL - Pelican Roost RV Park - .JPG 1a MayportFL1.JPG

1b Mayport, FL - Pelican Roost RV Park .JPG 1c Mayport, FL - Pelican Roost RV Park .jpg

1d Mayport, FL - Pelican Roost RV Park .JPG