View Single Post
Old 11-16-2021, 05:40 AM   #16
Notanlines

Like Cummins, we have tripe towed for many years (14) and never been stopped. Even though it is illegal, we have towed many times through Florida, Alabama, and Georgia without incident. Because of relatively low tourism in comparison to Florida, we avoid the remaining east coast states simply because it isn't seen/done there very often. Most of our TT travel is through the Midwest and out west, avoiding the entire west coast.
Observe all traffic laws, make sure all lights are working properly, and have a backup plan to CYA should you get stopped. Our plan is to have DW drive the truck and RV, and I'll simply back the bike/sidecar off the trailer, hook up to the trailer hitch on the bike, plug in the lights and follow her. When we get down the road fifty miles, pull into a rest area, load back up and hit the road. Where can we go wrong?
We gross on the CAT scale right at 32,000 when towing, I'm not sure about the length, I've never measured it. Add a 12' trailer, 40' RV, and 22' truck, subtract the overlap and you can figure it out.
Triple towing isn't for everybody. If you have very little sense of adventure, sweat the little things in life, or worry about what might happen down the road then maybe RV'ing and tripe towing isn't for you.
We regretfully took a detour in Illinois when the bypass around St Louis was shut down for repairs and it led to a 12' railroad bridge, yes, two lane road.
We stopped in time, had a little help from a fine fella at his farm, unhooked the bike trailer, got all turned around, and then were treated to coffee on their front porch. Fine people!
Harley Road King & sidecar
Notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote