View Single Post
Old 08-12-2007, 02:41 PM   #5
jdwilson3

Service techs

On August 23, 2006 I paid Bondurant Mobile Service a $45 service call to replace my 13.5K AC, he had to travel approximately 45 miles to get to my ES. Dometic does not cover "trip charges". Kiwi RV tech was on vacation, so I called Bondurant. Alan is highly recommended and I had used his services previously in Sierra Vista. He even wrapped my ladder to insure there was no "rubbing from the new AC going to the roof, etc.

On July 27 Kiwi RV replaced my 13.5K and on July 31 (2007) he replaced the 15K. In that he is local, he did not charge me a trip charge. He was paid 3 hours by Dometic to do the work. My out of pocket expense was $0. Yes, I helped him get the two AC units on the roof.

The AC units on DT 5th wheels are held in place by 4 lag bolts. There is no interior work to do. To remove the AC cover, 4 screws. To remove the interior housing, 2 screws and a few locking tabs, to remove the electrical box cover, 2 screws. Disconnect 2 telephone cables (RG type in modular connectors) 1 goes to thermostat, 1 to front AC, disconnect 120V AC, remove 4 lag screws and lift out, reverse process to install and reset thermostat. When reinstalling the AC cover, it is best to install the foam insulation directly to the top of the unit, and not to the inside of the cover, to insure proper sealing. Kiwi found some loose attic insulation and lots of sawdust, etc, and removed it (All within the 3 hours.)

I am only stating that I believe 1.5 hours to remove and replace 1 AC is adequate. I have had three done on this unit. I did a new installation on my 2000 Avion, and that job (prewired to 2nd AC) required inside work, and took less than two hours (I had help getting the Coleman Mach unit on the roof.)