Thread: 2011 Chevy
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2011, 04:52 PM   #10
hmwilbur

2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW 4X4 Extended cab

We ordered a new 2011 Chevy 3500 SRW 4X4 in August for towing our 2006 34' MS and a 16,000 GVW livestock trailer. Our 2006 3500 SRW Chevy allowed us 6' between the bed in the tail gate area and the bottom of the nose and the trailer was level. We ordered the 2011 truck with the assurance of the dealer sales staff that the box top height would not exceed the box height of our 2006 3500 SRW truck. We were skeptical of this assurance as the 2500 SRW crew cabs on the lot were all at least 2" higher. The inside bed height is 1" higher than the 2006's and the bed floor is at least 1" higher. The sales manager consulted with the service manager who told us that if the truck was too high that it could be lowered with adjustments to the suspension. This seemed reasonable since I knew that it was possible with some of the earlier Ford Super Duty F350s. When the truck arrived we hooked it up and had only 3" of clearence at the rear of the box. We were unable to tow it from the spot where it was stored with out the tail gate striking the nose. Of course the dealer's service department could not lower the truck without voiding the warrenty and we were on our own. We had to make it work as our 2006 truck had been sold. We raised the Reece 5th wheel hitch 1" and pulled the MS to a level spot and still only had 4" and the trailer had an unacceptable tilt to the rear. We next put the trailer on blocks and changed the springs from the center hole of the hangers to the bottom hole. We now have a 5" clearence at the tail gate area and the trailer sits fairly level. We have traveled 2500 miles and so far have not had an issue with the clearence. Our 2004 and 2006 trucks slumped enough make the 04 and 06 MS trailers ride level. The 2011 has wider leaf springs and also has over load springs. It slumps very little. The HD designation has meaning with 2011 model. Everything else about this truck is all a driver could ask for. My only concern now is that the diesel exhust burner may create issues. I'm sure it will be a topic of discussion on this forum in the future.
hmwilbur is offline   Reply With Quote