View Single Post
Old 05-16-2022, 04:05 PM   #2
freestyle freddy

Exciting time!!!! I remember 17 years ago when we first decided to go fulltme. We spent the next 5 years researching our financial status to verify we could do it. I also subscribed to rvtravel.com, the largest & free rving newsletter for rving info. I learned a ton over the 5 years before we started our travels. We spent an entire year, looking at over 150 units, for the right 5er. Finally ordered a 34 ft from New Horizons. 34 ft is about the longest you want if you plan to stay in older campgrounds or many of the state & national parks. Those older parks weren't built for today's 38-45 footers. If you have the funds to set up your 5er with solar & especially lithium batteries, you'll give yourself so much more flexibility as to where you can explore & how long you can stay off grid. If you want to boondock a lot, get large waste & fresh water capacities. We have 85 fresh, 70 grey & 70 black. we have 700watts solar & 460AH of battery. About 50% of our camping has been boondocking over 12 years. That's been much of our most memorable times. We''ve travelled 200K+ miles, to every state at least once & Alaska twice.
Budgeting is hard because it depends on areas of the country you're in, & weather affects utility expense. Take your time choosing the right rv first, & then the right truck to tow it. You'll also want a 5er with large storage capacity, since you'll be fulltime. Good luck.
freestyle freddy is offline   Reply With Quote