View Single Post
Old 02-05-2022, 07:07 PM   #4
DutchmenSport

Your plan is very do-able and many have worked from camper on the road. I know, my wife and I have done that too. We at our home base until March and then hitting the road again. She's still working full time (from home -- information technology), and I recently retired (on Jan 14). We did pretty much exactly what you described almost all of 2021.

About length of stay? In 2021 we stayed 6 weeks at our first location. And we realized that was just too long in one spot. However, it was January and February but when we finally broke camp we both agreed that was too long in one spot. We travel to much. We are not seasonal campers at all.

So, we shifted our stays from location to location for 2 week stretches. And this worked great! Sometimes, we'd go back to the same spot we left two weeks later, or maybe a month later. We'd always try to get a different campsite, which keeps things from getting monotonous.

Of course, everyone does it different, and there is no right or wrong way, or one way better than the other, either. You'll need to work out your own approach.

But, one thing you absolutely must do is build in a contingency plan in the event of mechanical failure with either the trailer or the tow vehicle. And that contingency plan is $$$$. Make sure you have enough saved up, so in the event you have to put the camper in for service and the service shop has your camper for 3 months, (which is a real possible for something as simple as a blown fuse), you have somewhere to stay (if that be returning back to your sister's property or staying in a motel for 3 months.) Always have a contingency plan, or at lest a good line of credit on a trustworthy credit card. One thing is absolutely certain with any RV's: Just like taxes and death, you will never escape either???? With an RV.... you will never escape NOT having a mechanical failure on the road somewhere, sometime.