Thread: Forks rv
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2013, 02:17 PM   #29
bstark

Bill: That's what I make of it as well. While their trailers offered to date have been primarily custom builds on modified commercial type flat deck frames, it would seem their latest offerings are going the same way as the bulk of the industry; lighter and cheaper to construct.

Among the minimum weight for a piece of 12" structural piece of "I" Beam would be of a type with a 4" top and bottom flange width with those flanges having a thickness of .224" and that 12" center web would be .200" thick and THAT beam would weigh 14 lbs. per linear foot.

For the stuff they are calling 12" "I" beam to come in at a linear weight of 12 lbs., a full 2 lbs. less per foot, means those web and flange thicknesses must be CONSIDERABLY thinner and/or they are using a narrower top and bottom flange and hence would be way less resistant to either lateral or torsional flexing.

Summation: the frames under the DRV's of the 15" stacked multiple box would be a far better bet than any of the RV industry's "so-called" I beam variety.

As always, JMHO.