View Single Post
Old 10-10-2016, 06:54 AM   #8
Alpo

I appreciate all the feedback however it may be a bit too specific and deeper in nature than I had wanted. What I had wanted was just some generic feedback on some applied examples. The feedback I have received resulted in me stepping back from the 5th wheel option and even stepping down from ~31’ Trailers to ~28” Trailers.I use Boat for recreation but now feel Camping would fill that gap nicely (not to mention my wife’s desire to Camp).In the end I do not want to be so conservative with the Trailer as to ruin the whole experience for us.
While I understand the concept of loading the truck and Trailer to expected weights for doing the real exact math, doing so would be quite an undertaking if possible at all. What Dealers would allow to me to randomly borrow Brand New Trailers so that I can load each one with expected gear (actually an unknown for me now) for Testing the Truck’s abilities and obtaining combined weighs at a scale until I found the perfect combination?I will add that right now I only expect my wife and our dogs (2 German Shepherds) to be going going camping as a rule.We do have 2 very inexpensive (dare I say cheap) small 10’ Plastic Kayaks we would also be taking with us.Being realistic I do not want to limit myself to that either, I want some safety margins for more Gear.I do not want to be scarfed to add a Grill or some lawn chairs if I so please.
The Truck and Trailer both have listed weights and capabilities. Of course there will be variances but these should be good average numbers to use for a general idea.For expected Cargo, there should be some good examples of what the average Camper uses out there.If the resulting expected averages are so close as to need to be taken to a scaled for finite measuring, it’s probably too much anyway.
That being said, are there any general opinions on the capability of a generic 2013 Ram with a “posted” Towing Capacity of ~11,100” and Payload Capacity of ~1430# (of course using a matched Weight Distributing Hitch with Sway Control) towing a generic ~28’ Trailer with a GVWR in the area of ~7500# (~5400” dry) and ~700# Tongue weight. The Truck came equipped for Towing, including an integrated Trailering Brake Control.
By the way, I am also not new to towing. I have towed Boats on a regular basis (18’ Trophy Walk Around and a 23’ TeKa Closed Bow) as well as a Kubota 23BX Tractor (with Front End Loader and Backhoe) on a 18’ Landscaping Trailer.Although rarely I have also towed vehicles on Rented Trailers
Alpo is offline   Reply With Quote