View Single Post
Old 07-22-2013, 12:24 PM   #1
rambler

Rear Rack to haul wood, bikes, ect

Hello, I am new to this forum but sure could use some help, photos, or tips on a rear rack. I have a 32" Holiday Rambler and have been plagued with rear rack & bike rack issues. I bought a " 'PRO Series " rear rack then added a Yakima 2 bike rack to it. Well have 3 trips, losing my $ 600.00 Trek bike, broken strapps on the bike rack, broken welds on the rack it self I narrowed it down that the so called " Pro Series " rack is way to flimsy to haul a cooler, some firewood and 2 bikes. I have looked at the newer fold down racks but I am not sure if they are big enough. I think I am going to start from scratch and have one built. I have decided since my rear bumper has qty 2 - 2" male tubes sticking out of it I want to make it slide on those with removable pins, and be somewhere around 3'-4' deep by 6' long with a steel mesh floor. I want it to be square steel tube, and make 4 slots for the bike tires to set in and have a removable tube that extends up 4" so I can strap the bikes too thus them setting on the rack vs hanging from a bike rack. I also want to haul wood on this and also a small refigerator too. I think I am done with the bike racks that the hang them in mid air, I have heard ,seen, and experienced enough. If you have any idea or pics of your own back rack please post as I would like to see what you guys have build or bought which will help me design mine.
rambler is offline   Reply With Quote