View Single Post
Old 07-28-2007, 08:24 AM   #6
WildJohn

Lots of good information already but there is a little more food for thought. the Honda 2000 generator is portable and one man can handle it. two of them can be connected together for 4000wts. they don't take up a lot of room and VERY quiet. Handy for any emergency. Two of them will power your hole rig.
I have the 3000 watt model and wish I had the twin 2kw units. It is too big and heavy for less than two healthy men to handle. I also have the 6v battery bank and inverters. The only other thing I can offer is that Most of the lighting and many systems on the unit are 12vdc anyway so having the huge amount of 12v power is a plus. If you don't use the microwave, ceiling fans, or ac units and run the fridge on LP, you only need 12 volt. and a bank of golf cart batteries are great. but don't discount the need for maintenance on batteries. failure to maintain them is expensive and even with good maintenance they do wear out.
A lot of your reserve power is wasted in heat to change it from 12dc to 120 vac. In summary the "BEST" system is both generator and battery/inverter combo. beyond that you have to live with compromise.
good camping all ways
John
gearmaster
backup cams
3KW Honda
6V battery bank w/inverters
WildJohn is offline   Reply With Quote