View Single Post
Old 10-28-2005, 01:51 PM   #9
cwsoules

If you expect to tow with your diesel you need to add the gages. Mine are Banks gages and I like them. They are pillar mounted on the drivers side door pillar. I have the Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT) gage on top and I watch this closely when towing in hills and back off on my throttle when the EGT is over 1250. I use this gage more than any other gage when towing. Thinking back to pre gage days I know I routinely exceeded 1250 when towing in the hills. And I found that my idling the engine to cool the EGT pre-gages was not nearly long enough. So far my turbocharger is still working properly. My boost pressure gage in in the middle and frankly I do not pay alot of attention to it. The bottom gage is the transmission temperature gage. I watched it like a hawk at low speeds, such as towing in a traffic jam, to try to keep the temoperature below 200. When backing into a site the temperature routinely would go up to 240 and I would secure the backing, shift to neutral and speed up the engine to cool the tranny oil. Over a year ago I had a third tranny oil cooler added which dramatically lowered the oil temperature by increasing the cooling. The mechanic found a second check valve in the system which he removed increasing flow.
2000 Quad Cab 2500 Auto w/4:10 rear end. DTT 89% VB, TC, Mag HI-TECK Pan, Smart Box, EZ, PAC Brake, Pillar gage mount with EGT, Boost, and Tranny output temp, Miller Manufacturing Truck Bed Cover, with RBW 5er hitch, and
Rigged to tow a 29' Automate 5th wheel.
cwsoules is offline   Reply With Quote