Thread: We need friends
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2010, 12:53 PM   #1
FloridaFran

We need friends

I have been searching for a forum like this for months. It seems as if this forum is not really active, but I hope it will provide us with some help.

We retired from 24/7 careers six years ago and moved to gated community in Florida. Six years later and we know no one in our neighborhood. Everyone seems to socialize over soccer games with children.

In defense of our neighbors, we are probably difficult to get to know because we travel extensively.....spent only 76 days at our home in 2009.

Have moved out of gated community and into 40' RV parked in an RV Resort, where we hope to live fairly full-time. We selected an RV resort hoping that we would be able to make friends. We really do not seem to know how to do that. Most of the people in our RV resort seem significantly older than we are, but I am sure we feel younger than we look.

We are 65, graduate college degrees, interested in reading, writing, photography, jewelry-making, cooking, foreign languages, travel, grandchildren, movies and current events.

Our RV resort offers card games a few times each week as well as the ubiquitous bingo game. We have attended a pot luck and morning coffee. The pot luck was really "eat and run". No one seemed interested in visiting. The same situation happened at the morning coffee.

We have tried to engage people in conversation when they are sitting outside of their units. We have not felt warmly welcomed. I do not think the culture of the RV Resort is anti-social as I see groups of people together all of the time. I just do not know how to get into those groups. Any suggestions?
FloridaFran is offline   Reply With Quote