Thread: new hitch
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2012, 09:53 PM   #15
billr

FWIW, We had a Reese that was 4yrs old pulling a 13K fiver before we got the MS 38RL3. Pulled for 2 yrs with the Reese and it wore out the jaws ans all the pins inside the hitch lock mech which has a lot of moiving parts. There was slop in the hitch I felt inside when stoping and starting, clunk clunk. The Jaws were actually opening up almost 1/2" from the slop inside the mech. Had to make an emergency purchase while on the road away from home. Didn't trust it. 4 yrs of light duty and 2 years with MS killed it.

Took the advice of the folks here and went with a Trailersaver 30K Rigid hitch that mounted right into the stadard hitrch rails already in the truck. Binkley head design used on all commercial trucks. Solid as a rock. Positive lock, no worries. Cost around $900. 5yrs and still solid. Moved it to the HDT with custom mounting. Using the trail air pin box as well.

The Reese is way too easy to mis hitch, not lock up. Many a trailers have dropped on the back of the trucks with a Reese. (of course these folks have not done the pull check).

Have heard good reports from those with the Curt, not familiar myself.

Another IMHO....don't cut corners on your hitch selection. Not a good place to save $.

Ref the Edge controller, If you haven't done so yet, try to contact Edge. When we had the Chevy, I had to send it back to them twice. They reflashed it once and replaced for cheap the second time when out of warr. I too had shutdown issues at the worse possible times. It stayed good after that. Ran on setting #2 all the time.

High temps and all the stuff to make the Pickup work helped make me move to HDT. I hear the newer PUs are way better power wise stock.

Good luck with your hitch selection!

Bill
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote