View Single Post
Old 04-21-2011, 01:06 PM   #18
USA in a Chevrolet

Re: Hydraulic system fluid

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60
I still think any type of brand-name ATF is suitable for this application. There is no temperature aspect to degrade the fluid, and generally, no way for contaminants to enter the system (condensation can always form in the fluid resevoir). If contamination were a hazard in this system, we would be told to replace the fluid at certain intervals, or there would be a filter to change. If the brand of the fluid was important, it would be addressed in the manual with dire warnings cancelling the warranty (similar to the Ford/GM/Allison transmission recommendations).
And full synthetic should always be better than conventional ATF, especially if operated in areas of low temperatures.
Joe
I think it is more than brand. Chevy & Ford each use a different type of transmission fluid which has different properties. That is why you can't interchange the fluids between Ford & Chevy. I imagine that if you were to drain the fluids completely & refill with the other brand you would be ok. You just can't mix two types of fluid. The same is true with antifreeze types.