Thread: Jacking
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2007, 08:38 AM   #5
bstark

Mike: Yep, I encountered that same cautionary note in their literature. I went through all of this years ago with them and it boils down to; they don't want you to possibly bend one of their axles by jacking the off-camber wheel into the air while the other wheel is bound or trapped in the opposite camber by road surface and other axle being at opposite tilt.

You may even encounter an episode where an emergency tire repair vehicle operator refuses to lift the entire trailer just to change a tire as being "in his mind" unnecessary, too difficult, and even unsafe.

This of course wouldn't be a problem if they (Dexter) would simply make their axles out of thicker wall tubing to begin with.

Jacking the frame of the(Trailair equipped) trailer requires lifting the entire side of the trailer a terrible distance into the air to compensate for it's tendancy to rotate shackle assembly towards the flat tire. You actually have to lift that side enough for the entire weight of the trailer to come off both wheels/tires as well. This distance is slightly exacerbated (having to jack even further as you take the weight off one side) by air transferring over to the light side on systems that still have the single fill port. I feel better about jacking under the axle at the point where all of the service people currently do it.

The key is making sure (if possible) you're on flat surface with your axles out of any bind situation such as one side of trailer in a pot-hole or ditch and not to be too aggressive in how far you lift the offending wheel.