View Single Post
Old 12-05-2013, 10:36 AM   #11
Motor31

Davidnrenee, I am sorry to have to say this, but welcome to the world of mobile suites.

The idea of having major and multiple issues like this from the factory is an old familiar situation with this brand and goes all the way back to 05 and earlier. I am sorry to say your experiences and those posted by others are not new or even unusual. Yes you will get the occasional good units and the cheerleaders on the forums are quick to praise the brand because they "won the lottery" with their rig. The rest of us have to deal with shoddy construction and an obvious lack of attention by quality control (if that really exists in DRV) by doing repairs or having to take measures to see that repairs that should never have been necessary are done. The idea of having to use an outside company like Paul Cross and others, who left DRV to make a lucrative living fixing the factory screw ups, to make a brand new off the factory line rig fit to live in is silly. Yet, you will find the cheerleaders fervently suggesting just that as if it were a perfectly normal thing to do, at your own expense no less.

DRV is now demanding Teton prices for Jayco and Coleman quality materials and less than competent assembly of same. Just because you put some flashy paint and glitzy interiors on a unit does not make it functional or livable, yet the factory and cheerleaders will have you think it does.

Take it from someone who had had bitter and expensive experience dealing with things like this, that you need to pay very close attention to the unit while it is in warranty and make darn sure everything gets taken care of fast. Once the warranty expires the support situation changes radically. Having a dealer fight for you is also important. I had the misfortune of having a dealer who liked to go through the motions rather than really fix things. as a result I had over 800 miles of travel, one way the first 3 months of ownership, to get things dealt with including not one but two factory visits in one year. Even so, I still had to fix things myself like windows mounted without caulk that caused massive leaks inside the rig.

Next you are likely to hear that all RV's have some issues. That's true but not to the same extent. Visit other RV owner forums and you are likely to see more mundane issues listed than what has been posted here on this forum about DRV units.

If you do go through with your purchase, I sincerely hope you get one of the good ones that does not need much in the way of repairs. I would not wish my experiences with mobile suites on anyone else.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote