View Single Post
Old 04-17-2009, 01:26 PM   #1
wigpro

Newbie looking for recomendations!

I am brand new to RV'ing...and just joined this forum to gather some information. I have all summer to study and decide exactly what route I am going to go, but my plans call for buying what I need this fall! I have some pretty extensive requirements and would really appreciate any input that some of you fulltimers could provide.

My intention is to begin living fulltime by the end of this year.

I am somewhat self employed after my retirement several years ago and I will need good reliable fairly fast internet access. I design and build websites and also do commercial (travel related) photography and writing. so good reliable portable internet access is a must. I understand that some parks offer WiFi and that would be fine, but when out in the country, what would you recommend cell phone (air card) or satellite?

Actual Units - I am single, so a large "bunkhouse" is not needed, I am looking for the smallest light weight, winterized unit that I can find. I spend my winters right now in Florida and work at a Lodge in Alaska for the summers. I would like to experience winter or at least extended season in Alaska, so that is why I need a winterized unit. I have pretty much eliminated a trailer as opposed to a 5th wheel, but given the right unit (separate sleeping area and large dry bath, I can see where a regular travel trailer could still be an option, (Any thoughts?),but feel the ease of towing and the above the bed sleeping area, really makes sense. Also the larger bathroom! I also think at least 1 slide out is a requirement to make it more liveable full time!

Tow vehicle - I recently looked at a nice unit a Sunnybrook TITAN 24CKFS, which the dealer told me I could easily tow with a standard 1/2 ton pickup...however, I am reluctant to believe that. Feel I would at least need a 1 ton...any other requirements? I am thinking at least an F-250, preferably diesel.

Laundry - I realize it is only me, but I would more than likely prefer a washer and dryer within the unit. I hate going to laundromats, what is the downside of an installed stackable W/D. Any recommendations?

That will get me started...you can rest assured that I will have more questions as time goes on. But any help or direction that anyone can provide will certainly be appreciated!

Thanks

Jim Lucas
wigpro is offline   Reply With Quote