View Single Post
Old 08-25-2009, 10:50 AM   #17
Motor31

The manufacturers published tow ratings tell the story, not the salesman looking to make the sale.

For a one ton Dodge (3500), the highest tow rating they have in the 09 Trailer Life tow guide is 17,450 (one model unit only) and you need to have the chassis cab for that. The regular Dodge 3500 only goes up to 15,850 (one model).

The older 38' model mobile suites (DRV if you will) were 20,000 GVW units. Mine (05)came in at 18,500 before they raised the GVW in later year models. The empty weight was 16,200 on it. I also have a 4200 lb pin weight. I'm at GVW in our rig as confirmed by actual scale usage instead of the salesman's claims. I'm curious as the GVW of the new 40' trailer. The published GVW not the salesman's claim.

One 3/4 ton Dodge (2500) in the 09 guide only has a rating up to 13,550. The DRV units also have a GVW above that even the 36' units.

Dodge makes a nice truck, quiet and smooth ride, but they have the lowest tow ratings of the 3 domestic manufacturers.

Tow ratings take into consideration not just the engine transmission combination but the rear end gearing, frame, axle, brakes and wheels used as well. Modifying the truck (chips and suspension mods like bags) does not change the tow rating, only the manufacturer can do that. Tire load ratings are another limiting factor.

Never ever believe the salesman when he says you can to anything on their lot. I had one claim I could tow a 36' 17,000 lb Excel with a half ton Dodge Dakota PU but the max rating on that truck was 7,000 lbs. Get the published figures from the manufacturer and base your decision on the numbers.

Please notice there are no derisive names or comments here in this post. Take it or leave it as you wish.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote