View Single Post
Old 05-30-2005, 06:42 PM   #6
JRoger

From comparing the disc brake types on the Dexter web site, it looks like this is unique to the 8K axles. These disc brake units have a fixed dual pad system that uses one 4 inch by 1/4 inch bolt with 10/32 threds and a self gripping/slotted nut to hold both pads in place. The bolt is inserted from the outside with the wheels off and the nut is screwed on. The bolt and nut can be seen from under the unit and looking at the pad housing. The bolts with the shoulder can be moved back and forth slightly. Apparently the non-shoulder bolts were tightened down and then broke from the expansion/contracting from use. The fix for them was to loosen the nut one turn to allow space for expansion, etc.

You can see these units on the www.dexteraxle.com web site in the 8K brake kit. The pad keeper bolt is shown but not listed as a separate part number. Other Dexter disc brake units don't seem to use the pad keeper bolt system.

I don't know Dexter's position as I just learned of this on the Yahoo Mobile Suites forum today.

Out unit is an 05 with the shouldered bolts but the nut still has a tendency to come off for some reason. I'm not sure what the official long term fix should be except that I will take a pair of vice grips and smash the threads on the bolts to keep the nuts from coming loose.

The aluminum wheel has sustained some scorring but is not ruined. The bolt would probably broken soon.
Moby Dick the Great White, 2001 Volvo 610, Cummins N14+ 435/500HP, Auto Shift, 540K miles, 240 inch WB, 27 ft OAL, Alabama motorhome. Custom bed; 2005 Mobile Suites 38RL3, Moto-Cooper 250cc scooter, back-up cameras, Delorme GPS, Sirius radio, Pressure Pro system, two Honda E2000 gens. Pictures at: https://community.webshots.com/user/jroger45
JRoger is offline   Reply With Quote