View Single Post
Old 04-03-2008, 08:26 AM   #6
Motor31

Bob,

The first thing I think you need to do is check the equipment you currently have. As already mentioned, check to make sure all of the brakes are connected electrically.

You also need to get the instructions for your controller and reset it like it was brand new. I like to take the rig and reset the controller before any new trip. I can also test it by taking it to a dirt lot or road and have someone watch the wheels while I apply the brakes to the trailer only to see if all 4 of them lock up. I do not expect them to lock up, especially at low test speed on pavement. I'll set the advance or power boost to the point where I feel in normal traffic the trailer is handling itself with only a little extra power being supplied by the truck. Keep in mind your truck does have better brakes.

Even if you do all of that you will still require more stopping distance with the trailer than without. You are going from about 7,000 lbs to over 22,000 lbs GCVW and that kind of weight takes more stopping distance. Even if you have brakes strong enough to lock every wheel on the rig you will still take more distance in a normal or panic stop. BTW skidding only increases the braking distance as tire friction goes down in a skid.

The moral of the story is leave a lot more distance between you and traffic. If you think you have enough space, try to increase it by half again as it almost certainly is not enough in the case of a hard or panic stop. Remember if you hit something because you couldn't stop in time you are still responsible for hitting it. The fact that you are bigger and heavier only requires more attention and care on your part, it does not excuse a failure to stop absent extenuating circumstances.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote