View Single Post
Old 07-13-2018, 03:37 PM   #2
Mtntrek

Quote:
Originally Posted by heithcook View Post
Originally we were planning on going with a companion fifth wheel hitch because it came apart into two pieces, but it still was quite heavy.
I use a 25K hitch that is also two piece (head, tower) and is quite manageable even for a scrawny old man.
It would be difficult to find anyone who would say anything negative about a B&W product. Enuffsaid.
Then our local RV dealer told us about the Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch and how it stopped Chucking and Bucking and provided better mobility when connecting and disconnecting.
I won't discount a salesman's knowledge or experience but, that is a tall claim. Very few individuals understand what causes "chucking" let alone the remedies. Every single TV, trailer combo has different characteristics and seldom are two the same. Bucking falls in another category.
It also only ways only 30lbs and is made from Aluminum with a crush rate of around 50k lbs.
Almost sounds too good to be true, R&D facilities demos can be convincing, the real world isn't always "ideal" conditions though.
Here are a few questions that I have
How much more or less difficult is it to connect?Would you recommend it and if so why?
Generally it's going to be a little more difficult to align a ball over a socket and drop it in, for a hole-in-one. Ask any goose neck hauler or bumper puller. But with a little practice, and modern remote cams, not hard to over come.
Sliding under a pin, up and into a 5r plate ramp and trough is somewhat forgiving for most of the millions of the transport industry.
I'm not a big fan of the single pin goose "adapters" etc. due to the added parts, clamping, not to mention deflection of the tower points on the truck bed. The flimsy truck bed shouldn't even be in the equation, I much prefer a frame mounted puck system(s) if at all possible.
Is the ride smoother with this hitch vs. Mooride tongue and standard hitch?Here you are comparing apples VS. cucumbers. The TV hitch in most cases is a stationary appliance (short of a premium air / ride model, or hopefully a locked slider type).
The MorRyde rubber pin box offers some qualities that aren't duplicated or even addressed by the product your contemplating here AUH.
You'd be hard pressed to find users complain about their "MorRyde systems", The Pin box & adjoining I S torsion suspension offer a very good combination with most setups.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
I'm surprised to see so few replies on this topic??
No intention on going pro / con fanboy here on anything as I do my own research and see a lot of rigs.
Your choice could also be dependent on the actual amount of towing you intend on doing, everything about it is a compromise.
Best of luck.
BTW: Welcome to the forum.
DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali 3500HD-Max 4x, CC, 8' DRW
EZGo-txt, Yamaha-G22E
Mtntrek is offline   Reply With Quote