Thread: Pex fasteners
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2017, 10:09 AM   #3
Rockyhud

If your Pex clamp rings are the type that have a "nub" on the side, made during the crimping process, I've been able to use some good quality side-cutter pliers (the type usually designed for cutting wire) and cut the nub off so I could get the main crimp ring off.

For me, getting the ring off was the easiest part, then you have to work at getting the fitting out of the Pex. That's always been the hard part since the Pex is clamped down hard on the fitting, forming a water tight fit. The fittings I've worked with have had ridges and/or barbs formed into the section that's inserted into the Pex. I've used regular pliers to hold onto the Pex and another pair to hold onto the fitting so I can put some muscle into the task as the fitting won't come out easy. If you have enough line that cutting off the fitting wouldn't cause a problem, I'd recommend using a Pex line cutting tool (available at Lowes, Home Depot, etc) to cut the fitting off right at the bottom of the fitting. The cutting tool isn't expensive and makes a nice clean end for inserting the new fitting. Much easier to do than trying to save the line using the other method.

BTW, if you do cut the line and need more length, there are male couplers that are just for that. You insert one end into the existing line, crimp it on, then take a new piece of Pex and push it onto the other end of the coupler and crimp that on. Now you have as much Pex as you need to complete your work.
2011 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5509
Rockyhud is offline   Reply With Quote