View Single Post
Old 07-07-2013, 04:33 PM   #2
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
Re: Breakaway switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacardiron
How do i test my bargman breakaway switch to see if it works properly and the battery is charged? I don't know where my battery for it is, on a 2008 MS 33tk3
The battery should be in the small key locked door on the front of the unit on the off door side. We have a slide out tray and 2 6 volt batteries, but you may have 1 12 volt? They could be ordered either way.
For the emergency braking switch, it should have a line/cable attached and to check I just pull it out with a quick snap, the line & the plastic rod will come out cleanly. That will activate the brakes on the trailer. All you need to do is reinstall the rod back into the switch asm and it will then disengage the power to the brakes. The battery in the trailer will power this braking system so the battery needs to be charged. You should be attaching that cable to something in the bed of the truck that you are pretty confident that it will not come out of the truck on any sudden impact or if the trailer was ever to disengage from the hitch and try to leave the truck. That cable activates the trailer brakes right now and would help keep it from rolling away and hurting someone. I mounted my cable attaching point to the base of my hitch plate in my truck. Also make sure it is not possible to get tangled when your traveling with the truck & trailer as in a turn, if it gets caught and pulls out in most cases your truck and trailer will come to an abrupt halt, that is if your brakes are adjusted correctly. If not, then the brakes will be applying and if you continue to drive they will burn themselves up.
Once the cable is pulled and your in a site, just walk back to the wheels and listen for the hum as the brakes are applied but unplug the power source from the trailer as to make sure the battery is actually powering the brakes and not the converter or charger from the 110 plug. Hope this helps
1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote