View Single Post
Old 04-27-2020, 04:17 PM   #5
terry and jo

I am going to agree with much of the above, largely because I've seen too many cases where someone purchased an RV and truck, only to upgrade the RV within a year or two and then be outmatched for the truck.

I'm also going to STRONGLY suggest that you go with a long bed. I've seen a few short bed trucks break out their rear window in trying to turn with a fifth wheel in a somewhat tight spot, such as backing into an RV site.

You also want to look at the specs of any truck you consider and consider more the Gross Combined Vehicular Weight and Gross Rear Axle Weight ratings. Do NOT pay any attention to the truck manufacturer's "tow rating," as that rating is seldom accurate. GCVW is the total weight of both the truck (loaded with passengers and cargo) and the RV loaded up as well.

The wife and I have a 38 1/2-foot DRV Suites that has a GVWR of 18,500 lbs. Having been a former 18-wheeler operator, I decided that I wanted nothing less than a Ford F450 back in 2008 to 2010, when we were researching and choosing our RV. It's better to have too much truck than not enough.

Terry
2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote