View Single Post
Old 10-08-2019, 07:12 AM   #32
flyingjack

Any gooseneck is a BAD idea for 5ers. I've been pulling trailers (mostly work) for over 25 yrs; bumper pull, gooseneck and 5ers so I had gooseneck hitches for work and put one on my 2013 Montana when new for commonality. B&W flip over; very good unit. I get into tighter areas than most at some pretty shakey campgrounds while working on construction. That being said, a gooseneck allows approx 20+ degrees side to side leaning; it only takes about 5 degrees before mine mashed the pickup bed rail causing $7k damage. Turning around at night in a remote area and didn't see pothole that pickup rear tire dropped into while backing. It was my fault for not checking turn around site; but, nevertheless, a std 5th wheel hitch would have stressed the truck attach points but not mashed the bed rail or damage 5er nose. If you will never get off the level asphalt or whatever; gooseneck is fine. BTW; went with B&W Companion and MorRyde rubber pin box. And for those of you that will start bashing me for being a bad driver and not paying attention; let's talk after pulling trailers for 25 yrs and 100,000+ miles.
Good luck whichever way you go.
Jack
flyingjack is offline   Reply With Quote