Thread: Volvo
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2007, 11:19 AM   #28
bstark

Another opinion: New vs Used. If new versus used is the only criteria for reliability you consider, then you have to add all of the stuff that goes with it such as more frequent transmission problems with the typical pick-up automatic towing a heavier trailer, expected mileage from L/T series (Light Truck) tires that will need replacing MUCH more often, brakes that are replaced (often rotors as well) much more often. The list goes on and on.

While some would argue that warranties would cover the tranny stuff, you have to be very carful upon taking your truck in for service, that they don't learn (from the attached pillar guages showing turbo boost, temps and exhaust temp) that it's "chipped to the max" and towing over 16,000lbs or they (dealer) may simply say, NOPE!

I've spent a fair bit of "comparison-of-cost" time mulling over new pick-up vs used HDT and it always comes out the same.

To achieve parallel reliability, comfort and capability:

initial purchase is much greater for the new P/U
Ongoing required routine maintenance expenses (filters, fluids, brakes etc.,) are closer to a par due to the higher frequency for P/U offsetting higher cost (eg. qts-P/U vs gals- HDT for oil) for the HDT.

I had many problems comparing the costs associated with stuff like tires and brakes as the typical offerings for the P/U lifespan are measured in Kilometers or miles of usage while the heavier duty trucks will be measured in years of operation. I suspect the brakes (among other things) on my MDT and most of the HDT's represented on these boards will outlast their driver's ownership of their trucks.

Were I to step back to 2001 and commence 'Snowbirding' over again, knowing what I now know about ALL of the available towing methods: I would have chosen a well maintained class 8 tractor and saved a whole bunch of money (even after reconfig) and enjoyed the increased measures of reliability, comfort, confidence, performance, and SAFETY for all of those additional years!

Lee's post; dare I say it, smacks a little of the jealousy of someone trying to belittle others while knowing he is obfuscating the facts to suit his aim.

We MDT & HDT'ers, try very hard not to come off as preaching. We all must remember that selecting a T/V is as personal a choice as picking the trailer we desire, it very often has very little to do with the items discussed above but rather with the perceptions of other family members, friends or a host of other criteria.

Respect for each other is paramount!