View Single Post
Old 01-26-2021, 07:30 AM   #8
GeoTech

I would like to throw in my 2c for what it's worth. First off, sticker shock? Oh yeah! We are right now into our 8th Ford truck over a 46 year period. We started with new one at $2K (1972) to the current 2020 F250 7.3 10 speed at $58K!
Bought it for almost the same reasons as you want. Economy, power, & 10sp trans. It's a beast! I don't however have family or pets we are hauling, & our 5th wheel is 8,800lbs
Now, about your wish of the "Pro Assist" and "I could use all the help I can get"
Here's a real life drama: IF, you could use it for a 5'r, and, IF it failed on a trip & you never did your "due diligence" to learn to back it up without it. Now what? You're in a real sticky-wicket!
I taught all 3 of my children at a very early age to back up trailers as my father did to us siblings way before the age of driver's licenses. For some reason my middle one (now 43) never needed it until 3 years ago. I told him he could use one of my trucks to pull an enclosed trailer. Daughter-in-law called and asked me to help him as he hadn't done that since I taught him. I took him on a weekend to a local high school parking lot & we worked for a couple of hours on several different scenarios of backing that trailer.
My father's thoughts, as were mine later in life is this: You wouldn't let your teenager take your car to a shopping center, follow her/him there, then, back the car into a space for them would you? I know, I'm being a smart ass right now, but that "assist" is just another false sense of security. Kind of like the lane drift option in today's vehicles which, (IMO) is an "OK to text" while driving pass.
I am really sure you can find someone, either neighbor or relative who has a 5th wheel that would be more than willing to help you! I would be more than happy to help anyone practice in a safe place before the real life scenarios.
BTW, I'm in SE Mich in case that's near you to help?
GeoTech is offline   Reply With Quote