View Single Post
Old 09-02-2010, 05:38 PM   #1
terry and jo

Satellite Navigation Systems

I tried to find information on GPS units via the search engine, but it didn't show up any posts dedicated to "GPS". Tried "Satellite Navigation" as a search phrase and came up with 171 threads, but none seemed to be dedicated to satellite navigation.

So, when the search function fails to help me, I just start another thread and ask more questions. Jo and I just purchased a new SUV and it is not equipped with the onboard navigation system that our Explorer had.

1. What kind of systems are there and are there some I should avoid like the plague?

2. I've heard that some may allow downloading of applications for different things. So, is that statement true?

3. Are there any applications that would give information on overpass heights?

4. Or, would there be an internet site that would be better, especially for pre-planning of a route to avoid low clearances?

5. Do any of you have knowledge of the best GPS units to buy, and if so, why that brand/model?

6. Does any particular GPS file format work better or have more options than others?

7. Considering the future full-timing aspect of RV life, are there any STANDOUT brands/models that are a must have?

8. Are some units suitable to remove from a vehicle and carry on foot when hiking?

Thanks again for all the help.

Terry

Edit: Added more questions...
2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote