View Single Post
Old 08-23-2005, 02:37 PM   #6
rverdlm

I agree with everything Dave said. From what you've said you won't be towing a lot of miles, so an air hitch is probably not needed. If you were going to tow a lot of miles like I do then IMHO an air hitch or air pin box is essential. Big trucks like your dually put a lot of vibrational stress into the front of a trailer and over time and miles the frame may break. That's why you're now seeing a lot of mfg adding them. I'm not in favor of adding goosenecks to 5ers. The reason is that I happen to be one of a few who have had a pin box break. It happened to me in UT and the dealer I took it to knew just how to fix it because he does about 5 a month. Mine was the first one he ever had to repair that wasn't using a goosneck. Fleetwood paid to have mine repaired even though it was 2 years out of warrenty. If it had a gooseneck they would not have repaired it even if it was still within the warrenty period. The gooseneck lenghtens the lever arm on the hitch and frame. The trailer was not designed for this.

Retired Gator, Why is a 15K as large a hitch as you can put in your truck? The Reese 15K and 20K use the same bed rails. You can take one out and put the other in. I know because I upgraded from one to the other. I would certainly not use a 15K for a trailer that will weigh 14.8K. I upgraded because I bought a new trailer with a GVWR of 14.5K and the dealer wouldn't hook it up unless I upgraded the hitch.
2005 Mobile Suites 38RL3 #2338
MorRyde IS 8K axles, LazyBoy recliners, LCD tv
Full time since '96
rverdlm is offline   Reply With Quote