Thread: Hitch Clearance
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2021, 08:42 AM   #16
porthole

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjogan View Post
For example, I was going to raise the pin box one hole, but the hole pattern in the wing would have prevented me from using the required three bolts in the front column of bolt holes.
Something to consider if you plan on lowering the pinbox.

Those "plates" you see are not part of the frame, they are a seperate piece of steel, a stiffener for the part "plate' welded to the frame.

The plates have holes spaced at 2", the frame behind it has holes spaced at 1", so twice as many. If you lower the pinbox 1 hole (inside plate) the outer plate has to go down two holes, making more of a problem. Lower the pinbox 2 holes and the plate will line up be be in the same relative position.

You'll gain bed rail vertical clearance but do nothing for the horizontal clearance.

No matter where you set the pinbox, the corners of those plates will be a problem.

Also note if you decide to remove your pin box (and something you might want to address anyway).

DRV may or may not have used grade 8 hardware for the pin box. The do use conventional spring type lock washers. There is a very good chance if you look up under your pinbax, one or more of the lock washers will have failed. Even if they have not failed by looks, if you remove the bolts you really need to consider replacing them. They are the wrong type anyway. That application should have conical lock washers. Most common place I have found those is on eTrailer, supplied by Reese.

There are now a couple of DRV'ers trying the Gen-Y pinboxes, two styles one is a goose ball style the other a conventional 5th wheel pin.

They looked promising as they are about 2" or so shorter from the pin to the 1st row of bolt holes. Although first reports coming out are not very promising, at least one person still has a side rail issue on turns (I think he has the 5th wheel pin style) .

Haven't heard yet from the guy with a 2020 450, DRV toy hauler and the Gen-Y goose neck. There are a couple people using the Reese or Anderson type goose balls and there are few that have an issue with not being able to jack high enough without using blocks under the jacks to get off the ball. First unloading the springs then raising another 4" to clear the ball can be challenging.
2020 F-450
porthole is offline   Reply With Quote