Thread: mdt ?
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2006, 09:07 PM   #2
The Mad Norsky

Don't Listen to the Salesman

The first biggest mistake most people make in getting a fifth wheel IS:::

They listen to the salesman. And I am not fooling or being funny here. The salesman is out to make a sale, does not, with a 90% certainty here, know how to match up your truck with an appropriate fifth wheel, and neither he/she or the RV dealership is liable for any consequences their bungling may cause.

That said a couple items.

First, you would be pleased with ANY of the Hitchhiker line. A great company, good customer service and good factory support. I have owned mine for three seasons now, and it has been virtually trouble free. Mine is the Discover America (or Discover Canada, depends on where you are ) series.

I have heard the "stopping it" for a long time, but frankly do not completely buy into that. What are the fifth wheel trailer brakes for?

Lastly, the MDT. I am not an expert here, as I tow with 1-ton Chevy dually. I AM looking into getting an MDT, (along with new Hitchhiker Champagne 37 CKRD ) but that is still down the road. A properly set up MDT should tow, stop, and carry the pin weight of just about any sized fifth wheel you want.

A web site called Escapees RV Forum has a lot of info on MDT's; here is a link for you:

Bad link posted here, see next post for correction; sorry!
The Mad Norsky is offline   Reply With Quote