View Single Post
Old 12-16-2022, 08:22 AM   #5
sourdo

No worries @Cummins12V98

I installed this B&W 16K Patriot slider hitch all by my lonesome and am fully aware of all the adjustments. Until I can drag this new to us 5th wheel onto a large flat parking lot, I won't fully know what adjustments I can use and implement till then.

The overall goal here is to lower the 5th wheel nose to level. Cutting off the flanges to avoid bed rail interference and getting that last two inches, one more from the pin box, and one more inch on the hitch, is my goal. And then if I need more level, I'll add 2 inches of axle shims to the 5th wheel axle. Its a process, and finding ALL the adjustments needs to be very carefully considered. Once that steel is cut you're not going back.

Yesterday I sold my old Rv trailer, the guy had a 2000 Chevy 2500, and I forgot how low truck beds used to be. I had to get some wrenches and adjust the WD hitch for the guy, man you could jump into it it was so low, and I'm 67. The Ram? I need a step stool to safely get in the box.

This is the dilemma of marrying up older 5th wheels and newer trucks. Bed height.

And I would fully agree with cutting the flanges is not an issue with the way it is bolted in there.

But knowledge is power, and if you don't ask, you won't get.

Merry Christmas to all
sourdo
sourdo is offline   Reply With Quote