Thread: Kitchen Faucet
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2010, 10:24 AM   #10
Jack in Alaska

Well now Dick D...........you are starting to get me riled up about the "throw it away thing". I do not subscribe to that philosophy either but there comes a time when you just have to turn mothers picture to the wall and pitch the piece of inferior Chinese crap out so you can do something more constructive with your time.

I am one of 5 volunteer recyclers here in our RV park of 1950 spaces. We each have a long hook and do the dumpster diving thing each morning looking for aluminum cans, cardboard and plastic jugs etc. for recycle. We also find things that made it into the dumpster via people with the throw it away attitude. Anything that can be repaired easily or is ok is taken to the back yard where the locals that work here take them home. I found two Coleman gas grilles last year in the dumpster. Neither one worked. After a little tinkering and parts replacement I have one that works perfectly and was used just last night to grill some steaks.

We have crushed over 140,000 aluminum cans with two homemade wooden crushers this winter. I have rebuilt the crushers several times and this summer will build new ones out of a harder wood. We sell the aluminum for 90 cents/lb and have donated the $$$$ ($3600) to the local food bank. All from things thrown in the dumpsters. We also gather up various scrap steel like chair frames, old bikes, pipe, old Chinese faucets, etc. and sell that also but only at 5 cents/lb.

Back to the faucet thing.........

My kitchen faucet seized in the swivel as your did. I took it apart to see if it could be fixed. Lubricated the swivel with plumbers faucet lube. That lasted about 2 months then seized again. Took it apart a 2nd time and cleaned it all up, relubed it and reinstalled it. Several months later it seized again as well as it started to leak under the sink running down the pipes and making a mess.
1st time........strike one.........2nd time.....strike two......third time.........into the dumpster.
I could find no brand name on my old faucet. When I purchased a replacement Delta brand and layed the parts side by side it was hard to tell the difference other than the finish/quality was not as good on the original. So far, after 2 years the new faucet is flawless.

Have a good day and Happy Easter.

Jack

Start Out Each Day Real Easy.......Then Taper Off
Jack in Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote