View Single Post
Old 08-08-2022, 01:38 AM   #4
CALinSC

USS Independence (CVA-62)

In 1965 the Indy was home ported at Norfolk, VA. With its first all jet powered air wing aboard it was deployed to the Pacific Fleet and was the first Atlantic Fleet Aircraft Carrier to do so since WWII. For the Air Wing’s A6 aircraft of VA-75 it was their first operational deployment.

During the 1965 deployment I was serving with Fighter Squadron 41 (VF-41) with F-4B aircraft. For the entire cruise I worked on the flight deck as an airframes troubleshooter for VF-41, the “Black Aces”.

I could tell stories all day about that seven-month deployment. Here is one of them. After our first 30 something days line period flying numerous sorties, we got a two-week port call at Yokosuka, Japan. Some of the ship’s boilers needed serious repairs and the entire flight deck was resurfaced with nonskid paint.

While at Japan the ship’s commanding officer departed on emergency leave. His wife and daughter had been killed in a traffic accident. On departure day our ship’s XO was hospitalized with a severe case of the flu. In the Navy there are normal procedures to follow when placed in a command position. The requirement for aircraft carriers is deep draft experience. Without it no one was allowed to take command. None of the Indy’s department heads were qualified. When leaving port, we were the battle groups senior ship and had an Admiral and his full staff with. His chief of staff was a Navy Captain with deep draft experience and took command of the Indy until Captain Kennedy returned from his emergency leave.

Normally ships in the Vietnam waters in support of the war effort were relieved on station. Our relief was the USS Enterprise (CVN-65), and they were behind schedule and relieved the Indy in the Indian Ocean on its way home. They did not have support ships with them because they were in a hurry and were much faster than any of their normal support ships.

01 Indy .jpg 2 1965 Indy Cruise Book.jpg

2a VF-41 off Indy - 1965 .jpg 2b 1965 Indy - 1.jpg

2c USS Indy - 1965 - IO .jpg