View Single Post
Old 05-26-2012, 01:49 AM   #5
Jack in Alaska

Joe,

I just made the trip from Az. to Alaska but without my MS. It is in storage in Wenatchee, Wash. as we do not use it up here anymore. Just use it in Az during the winter. I did pull a new boat up for someone else and had no problem.
The Alaska Hyw. is in excellent condition. A few bad sections north of Destruction Bay, Yukon towards the Alaska border. Also the Tok cutoff from Tok to Glenallen, Alaska has some short gravel sections and frost heaves. Just slow it down in those sections.
In Canada you can see the bad spots coming as they put small red flags on each side if the section covers both lanes. If only a flag on one side it is that lane that is bad. Alaska does some of that but not always consistent.
Really do slow down to maybe 20 to 30 mph. It will save you problems in the long run and hey...it is not a race, you are seeing the sights.

If you should need parts or repairs on suspensions WILLARDS in Tok, Alaska is an excellent place. His place looks like a giant junk yard but he is very competent, a good mechanic and fair on his prices. His shop is on the left (west) side of the highway accoss from FAST EDDIES restr. as you enter the Tok area, several miles north of the weight station.

Diesel in Ft. Nelson was $5.87/US gal. That is the most expensive on the highway. It gets a little cheaper as you go north. Buy your fuel in the towns along the way like Dawson Creek, Ft. St. John, Ft. Nelson, Watson Lake, Whitehorse, Haines Junction, Tok etc. The lodges in between the towns are higher priced usually.

Good luck on your trip.

Jack in Alaska

Start Out Each Day Real Easy.......Then Taper Off
Jack in Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote