View Single Post
Old 05-23-2012, 08:39 PM   #4
RickandJanice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60
There are some 50A cords available that have a better covering--it is easier to coil up when cold, I understand. I could put up with a lot of hassle with the coiling for $1100.
Joe
Joe, the cord you are referring to has to be made up. The cable is type SO or SOO depending on the manufacturer and some stores call it Service Only or Generator Cable. The 50 Amp rated wire is 6 gage. When buying this type cable, you need to purchase the 4 conductor cable also referred to as SO 6/4. This will have the exact same color code as the power cord that come with RV's. SO type cable will stay completely flexible to -10 degrees and is also lighter weight. Runs about 4.25 -4.50 per foot, ends will run about 6.00 - 10.00 each depending on choice. I agree that a longer, lighter and more flexible power cable is allot less than a cable reel, and you can make any length you want. I converted the old cord into an extension cord in case we ever need it, but with the new cord as long as the rig, this will hopefully be very little.
RickandJanice is offline   Reply With Quote