View Single Post
Old 12-15-2012, 10:36 AM   #5
anijet

Well..... opinions are cheap so I will offer mine. I have been through several pinbox/hitch combinations trying to get an acceptable ride in the TV. An air hitch that dampens vertically will provide a smoother ride for the front of the trailer by cushioning the bumps from the truck axle to the pin box. It only slightly improves the ride in the truck. most of what you feel in the truck is horizontal movement. Think of the truck and trailer going over a speed bump slowly. When the truck goes over the bump the trucks ride is dependant on the truck suspension. When the trailer tires start to go over the bump there is resistance and the trailer tugs at the truck causing a noticeable bump (just like tapping the brakes really fast). When the trailer rolls down the back side the opposite happens. I have found the only way to eliminate this is to use a pinbox that provides horizontal dampening. (Edit: Concrete freeway expansion joints act like mini speed bumps.) I use the Demco GlideRide. I have not used them but Moryde makes a horizontal dampened pinbox and there is also the tri-glide pinbox.

BTW, I use an Air Safe air hitch with the Demco pinbox and have found it to be the best combination I have tried. Not cheap but it works. The Air Safe hitch with a solid pinbox helped but didn't reduce the chucking to an acceptable level. Another nice feature about the Air Safe hitch is it allows the hitch head to articulate any direction eliminating any binding in unusual truck-trailer attitudes.
anijet is offline   Reply With Quote