View Single Post
Old 06-09-2020, 09:31 AM   #15
OneReallyOldGuy

A/C malfunction intermittently

Ok guys, since we’re on the subject I have a problem with one of my units. It’s complicated so pour another cup and bear with me while I lay it out. My 2019 39DBRS3 has two dometic A/C’s. (No heat pumps). Wish I had gotten three but that’s another story.
Unit #1 works correctly all the time. Unit #2, the forward A/C works correctly most of the time. However it presents the following randomly. The unit starts and the little hour glass pops up on the control panel as usual. A few seconds later the compressor kicks in and the hour glass goes away. Between one and two minutes later the fan kicks up to high then about 30 seconds later the unit shuts down completely and the hour glass pops up again. The process repeats itself about two minutes later. The A/C blows cold air on each cycle but it doesn’t run long enough to cool the bedroom. I have the fan set on auto.
After anywhere from 10 minutes to a few hours of this cycling, the unit comes on and stays on until the normal cycle is complete and the set temperature is reached. It then operates normally for anywhere from a couple of hours to a couple of days.
A few more details:
Sometimes, randomly, when it’s operating “normally,” about 10 seconds after a cycle the fan kicks on for 5 seconds then turns off.
Sometimes I set the fan to medium and let it run because I get tired of listening to it cycle and if I watch the control panel the hour glass pops up for a couple minutes and goes off for a couple minutes so I assume the compressor is still fast cycling.
The problem is totally random and I don’t think it’s freezing up because upon starting the system after a five hour move in 90° weather it immediately began its cycling thing. It took forever to cool the coach that afternoon.
Outside temperature, humidity level, rain, shine, day, night have no bearing on it.
Thermostat setting has no bearing on it either. It doesn’t matter if it’s set to 72° or 68° or anywhere in between.
Of course every time the repair guy is on site at the RV Park we stay at the most it behaves normally. He says he can’t trouble shoot it if it’s working correctly.
Thanks for reading this, any thoughts or suggestions?
Phil
OneReallyOldGuy is offline   Reply With Quote