View Single Post
Old 10-12-2007, 12:57 PM   #14
47hook

Motor31, I appreciate your concern but I recommend you log onto the Woodalls forum and do a search for a screen name of "Wadcutter". In essence, the only legal requirement a non-commercial vehicle of any description using public roads, as far as weight is concerned, is to abide by roadway weight restrictions, per axle and combined: if the bridge is rated for 10 tons and you weigh 11 tons and are under your GCWR and go across the bridge you did so illegally.

I am not sure were I posted it, but recently my local paper printed an AP article on how many cars are running way over their weight ratings. Be interesting for folks to look at the ratings of your “regular” vehicle and see if you haven’t been exceeding those weights. I see vehicles of all description obviously way over weight, rear ends sagging, tires bulging and off they go.

Anijet, the 03 version of the Allison website lists it’s GWR at 26K, just for info.

As I have posted on this forum, IIRC, and on others, the GW of my 03 GMC and Alfa, and now the current MS was 23,500 to 23, 600#’s and there have been 0 white knuckle events at over 18K towing: east coast to west coast, round trip coast to coast and several shorter trips. Besides liking to have new toys, the reason for trading 2 years before we were going to was to get down to 2 vehicles from 3, take advantage of the sales tax deduction that may go away next year, and since we had reached the WR for the rear wheels/tires and hitch, to rectify that issue so we could load more than a six pack and chips in the MS! Yes I will still be over GCWR, with the Alfa we were over by about 7.5% from GCWR. Now I anticipate it will be about 5% over. If we talk about legalities, how many drivers exceed the posted, for all vehicle types, speed limit? That definitely is a legal limit and the folks that create and police those limits tell us it is for safety purposes. So, have you ever exceeded the speed limits? I know it is apples and oranges, but 5% of 70mph is only 3.5mph. Do you feel, if you have exceeded the speed limit that you are dangerous, unsafe? Been caught and had to pay a fine? When I have seen accidents involving RV’s, I have yet to hear about an overweight condition as being the cause, might have missed it though. Have heard about speed being the cause many, many times…
2013 MS 38RESB3 #6393, modified with ES stuff & Garnet Paint

"The older I get, the better I was!"
47hook is offline   Reply With Quote