View Single Post
Old 10-12-2007, 08:38 AM   #12
bstark

I wouldn't waste any more time obsessing over what you're using to tow your trailer with. Towing safely has a lot more to do with the guy behind the wheel and his/her behaviour than the equipment being used.

Weight police would have you believe that the risk to your lives and others around you is of much greater potential than the nut that's out there towing a commercial trailer at 90 mph and he has absolutely no idea of the state of his trailers tires/brakes/suspension because he just hooked up to that trailer this AM and didn't even do a walk-around but left the yard and put the hammer down to make his next drop/pick-up schedule.

We need to climb on down from the safety podium and remember that for the most part heavy trailers being towed by P/U's have been around for eons with relatively few accidents in proportion to the REST of the motoring public because we OWN this stuff and are, on average, at a more mature age to appreciate the consequences of idiotic behaviour behind the wheel. The larger rated towing vehicles have only become prevelant in numbers of late because someone realized that they could adapt a commercial hauler to perform RV towing duty and achieve a very cost effective solution by buying used and licensing it as an RV.

You won't get any lectures from me as I will continue to be happy to share the road with all of you as a fellow RV'er. My responsibility begins and ends with me and mine alone!